SPRACIROCK

Home FAQ Register Groups Classic Log in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzikman

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2005 11:11    Post subject: Live 8-July 2nd 2005 DVD Reply with quote

Artist: Various
Title: Live 8-July 2nd 2005
Genre: Rock-Pop
Format: 4 DVD Set
Label: Capitol
Website

Bob Geldof should be in politics. His accomplishments outside of music rival that of world
leaders and Nobel Peace prizewinners. The fact he was able to get Pink Floyd back together
for Live Aid part 2 says a lot about his persuasiveness and negotiating skills. Live
8-July 2nd 2005
is symbolic of eight world leaders coming together to make a
difference in the world's plight of hunger. Have they made a difference? I think not.
Events like this have done more for awareness of hunger and funneling in cash flow than
the superpowers of the world. Gathering the world together as one unit to put together
their hands for a few days is not an easy task, but its all worth it and thousands had the
opportunity to enjoy some of the best bands on the planet perform live while their money
for the price of admission went towards those who are less fortunate. This was all
certainly for a good cause and the greater good of mankind.

It took me several days to navigate my way through the four DVDs and I had mixed feelings
about the performances. The only member of the Who that seems to have that youthful energy
left is Pete Townsend, considering the other two founding members are now gone, its now up
to two of them to carry the torch, unfortunately it looks like just one is carrying on.
Roger Daltrey sounded flat and uninspired and he obviously has lost a lot in the vocal
department. Watching Pink Floyd reunite is worth the price of admission alone. It was akin
to the now famous Eagles statement, "We will get back together when hell freezes over" but
it finally happened any way. Perhaps this will lead to something elsewe can only hope.
Many of the bands I had never heard of actually. This is due to my living outside the box
musically, my age, and covering reissues on regular basis for the majors, plus the fact
that I am not plugged into radio or the latest hot major label acts. I live in an indie
world most of the time by choice. I saw enough of the newer acts to know that most of them
did not do a thing for me so I just moved on to the next act with a click. All of that
aside, this was a worthwhile experience and worth checking out.

I saw this DVD set at Coconuts on sale for $35.00, now that is a steal for all the
entertainment you get not to mention the outright historical value of what happened in
this short span of time back in July. This is much more than a stocking stuffer for your
resident music fan, its history, it is prolific in a worldly sense of the word, and above
all, the statement made on this great day hopefully opened some ears and eyes to the
horrid truth of world hunger in a day and age when it is not necessary.

Keith "MuzikMan" Hannaleck

December 19, 2005

Rating-7/10

Product Details

Directors: Claire Popplewell, Geoff Posner
Format: 4 DVD Box set, Color, Compilation, Live, NTSC
Studio: Capitol
DVD Release Date: November 8, 2005
Run Time: 480 min (original theatrical or airing runtime)

Theatrical Release Information

US Theatrical Release Date: July 2, 2005
Filming Locations: Chateau de Versailles, Versailles, Yvelines, France| Circus Maximus,
Rome, Lazio, Italy| Hyde Park, London, England, UK| Makuhari Messe, Makuhari, Tokyo,
Japan| Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa| Park Place,
Barrie, Ontario, Canada| Philadelphia Museum of Art - 26th Street and Ben Franklin
Parkway, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA| Red Square, Moscow, Russia| Siegessule,
Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany| The Eden Project, St Austell, Cornwall, England, UK

Live 8 Website

Post new topic  Reply to topic SPRACI Forum Index -> Rock (international) All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: